Friday, November 21, 2014

The Better Part or The Worse Part

When my children were young I worked a retail job.  I was with the public all of the time.  When I didn't have a customer in front of me, I had a co-worker in front of me.  I was nice, I was happy, I was helpful and chipper.  I was a great person to be around.  Just ask anyone I worked with.  I was Associate of the Month one month.  I received the privilege of parking the the very front parking spot for the whole month.  Next thing I new, I was Associate of the Year.  Oh yeah!  That's right!  You know it! A front row parking spot for the ENTIRE YEAR!

Yes!  That person was me.

At least while I was at work.

When I came home, I was tired both physically and mentally.  I had been "on" all day.  I had answered every dumb question in the book, had listened to customers and co-workers complain, had kept a smile plastered on my face and a spring in my step and I didn't have the energy to do it at home too.  I wanted to, I just didn't have it in me.



Now don't get me wrong.  It isn't like I was an ogre at home.  I was still loving to those I loved, I still was the best I could be.  But my point is...I wasn't giving them the "better part", they were getting what was left over.  This was not right of me.  It was dead wrong.  I came to this realization many years ago.  I have repented, learned and moved on.

EXCEPT!

On my way to work one day this week I was having a conversation with my Father in Heaven.  He sure does know how to take the conversations in the direction He wants to go.  Perhaps He does this when He knows I am listening.  He has been working on me in the areas of being a Godly wife in many, many different ways.  I know that they all lead to the same place, but He is really approaching my role as a woman and wife from so many different directions, most days I have to stop and wonder why I have never thought of any of these things before.  I have been married for more of my life than I have not been married; you would think I would have a handle on some of this by now.

Our discussion this particular day went something like this.  Holy Spirit, "you understand how I have been teaching you to dress more like a woman, to cover your hair as my Word says to and also as a gift to your husband?"  (1 Corinthians 11:15 "But if a woman has long hair, it is a glory to her")  I agreed: I do recognize what He has been showing me.

He has been showing me that I should desire to keep the most precious parts of me strictly for God Himself and my husband.  My hair is my glory...a special part.  But I will save this topic for another post.  I digress...

I acknowledged what the Holy Spirit was saying to me and He then moved on.  He said, "you know, your husband deserves the best of you too."  And then He began to give me examples of how I give others "the better" and my husband gets "the worse".

1.  I spend time doing my hair in the morning to go to work or church so that I look appropriate for "other people."  Then I come home and my hair goes up in a knotted bun or doesn't even get brushed.  (of course this has recently changed)

2. I dress appropriately taking time each night or day to figure out what I will wear to look acceptable to "other people."  Then I get home and change into sweatpants, oversize shirt, mismatched socks, etc.  (Please Tell Me This Sounds Familiar!)  What a beautiful look for my husband.  NOT!!

3. I put perfume on in the morning so that at least I can start the day off smelling good.  Then when I get home, maybe I still smell good or maybe not.  But I certainly don't "freshen up" just for my husband.  

Yes! This is the kind of conversation that my Father in Heaven likes to have with me.  Pretty straight forward.  Pretty clear.  Even a simple girl like myself can understand it.  




Things are changing in me.  In turn they will be changing for my husband.  He will indeed have "the better" part of me.  And in turn, I will know that I am being obedient to the Lord and more loving towards my husband.  And I will receive peace knowing that I have listened and acted, not out of obligation, but out of an obedient heart.  

-In Love, Staci



3 comments:

  1. After reading your Better/Worst part I started changing too :) Instead of sitting by my computer in pajama, today I put some decent clothing on... Now I have to work on my hair...haha...See, you gave me some directions!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually let me add this, somehow funny incident: When I'm going to Auctions on Saturdays, I'm dressing very, very well; jewelry, perfume, makeup, etc....One day husband say: "You'll never dressing like this for me, probably you'll meeting some boyfriend there..." He knows better that I don't have any boyfriends, it was rather friendly note from him to me, but I never gave any thought to his saying until reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, how I love that story. I know your husband knows of your loyalty. But you are a beautiful woman and I'm sure he really does love seeing the "better" of you. Thank you for your note. It is an encouragement to continue sharing.

      Delete